Íoschaighdeáin i dtithíocht ar cíos

Tá dualgas dlíthiúil ar do thiarna talún a chinntiú go gcomhlíonann do theach íoschaighdeáin áirithe fhisiciúla

Tá dualgas dlíthiúil ar do thiarna talún a chinntiú go gcomhlíonann do theach íoschaighdeáin áirithe fhisiciúla. Ón 1 Feabhra 2009, ní mór do mhaoin atá ar cíos íoschaighdeáin áirithe fhisiciúla a bhaint amach, amhail a shonraítear i Rialacháin na dTithe (Caighdeáin do Thithe ar Cíos), 2008 . Tháinig sraith bhreise rialachán i bhfeidhm, Rialacháin na dTithe (Caighdeáin do Thithe ar Cíos) (Leasú), 2009 (pdf) an 1 Nollaig 2009.


Ábhar i nGaeilge ag teacht... 

Minimum Standards for Private Rented Accommodation

Your landlord has a legal obligation to make sure that your home meets certain minimum physical standards. These standards are set out in the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 as amended by the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) (Amendment) Regulations 2009.

In general, the standards apply to dwellings rented from private landlords, local authorities and approved housing bodies. However, they do not apply to communal housing being let by the HSE or an approved housing body.

Details of minimum standards

For each apartment, flat or house being rented as a separate unit, the landlord must ensure that the rental property is in a proper state of structural repair. The Regulations require the landlord to maintain the property in a sound state, inside and out. They specify that roofs, roofing tiles, slates, windows, floors, ceilings, walls, stairs, doors, skirting boards, fascias, tiles on any floor, ceiling and wall, gutters, down pipes, fittings, furnishings, gardens and common areas must be maintained in good condition and repair. They must not be defective due to dampness or otherwise.

The landlord must ensure that electricity or gas supplies are safe and in good repair, and that every room has adequate ventilation and both natural and artificial lighting.

Laundry, food preparation and food storage

Article 8 of the 2008 Regulations (as amended) requires private landlords to provide access to:

  • A washing machine
  • A clothes-dryer if the dwelling does not have a private garden or yard

They must also provide facilities for cooking and for the hygienic storage of food, to include the following:

  • 4-ring hob with oven and grill
  • Cooker hood or extractor fan
  • Fridge and freezer, or a fridge-freezer
  • Microwave oven
  • Kitchen cupboards that are suitable and adequate for storing food
  • Sink with mains water supply, hot water and draining area

For dwellings rented from Fingal County Council and approved housing bodies, the relevant requirements are in Article 7 of the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 1993. This Article requires the landlord to provide facilities for:

  • Installation of cooking equipment with provision, where necessary, for the safe and effective removal of fumes
  • Hygienic storage of food

Other requirements

All landlords must provide:

  • A sink with hot and cold water
  • A separate room, for the exclusive use of each rented unit, with a toilet, a washbasin and a fixed bath or shower with hot and cold water
  • A fixed heating appliance in each room, which is capable of providing effective heating and which the tenant can control
  • A fire blanket and smoke alarms
  • Access to vermin-proof and pest-proof refuse storage facilities

In multi-unit buildings, the landlord must provide each unit with a mains-wired smoke alarm; a fire blanket; and an emergency evacuation plan. There must also be emergency lighting in common areas.

Read more about the minimum standards, including a guide to minimum standards in rented accommodation (pdf).

Inspections and enforcement

Fingal County Council (in our role as a housing authority) is responsible for enforcing these minimum standards in the Fingal area.

Fingal County Council also carry out planned programmes of inspection of rented properties.

If you think that your home does not comply with the standards, you should first bring the problem to your landlord’s attention, whether you are renting from a private landlord, Fingal County Council or a housing association.

If you think your accommodation is sub-standard or your landlord refuses to carry out repairs as required, you can contact us (see Where to Apply below) to make the landlord comply with the standards.

Failure to comply with the minimum standards can result in penalties and prosecution. Fingal County Council can issue Improvement Notices and Prohibition Notices to landlords who breach the minimum standards regulations. An Improvement Notice sets out the works that the landlord must carry out to remedy a breach of the regulations. If the landlord does not do these works, Fingal County Council may issue a Prohibition Notice, directing the landlord not to re-let the property until the breach of the regulations has been rectified.

Read more information about disputes between landlords and tenants.

Where to apply

Contact Us: [email protected]