Fire Safety Certificates

You must apply for a Fire Safety Certificate for new buildings and some alterations and extensions to existing buildings. 


What is a Fire Safety Certificate?

A Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) shows that adequate escape facilities are present in a building and that the building is designed in a way that prevents and limits the spread of a fire. All buildings must comply with Part B (Fire) of the Building Regulations 1997 - 2010

You don’t need a FSC for houses and certain agricultural buildings. Check the Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2009 for further information.


How to apply

Download the Fire Safety Certificate application form and send the completed form to:
Fire Safety Section, Planning Department
Fingal County Council
PO Box 174
Main Street
Co Dublin 

Or you can hand in your application at the Planning Counter in our Swords offices. We’re open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm. 

Filling in the application form

To make a valid application, you must provide:

  • plans, calculations and specifications for the works or building (2 copies)
  • details of the nature and extent of the proposed use of the building, and the existing use if applicable (2 copies)
  • the appropriate fee based on floor area  

The fee

It’s €125 or €2.90 per square metre of floor area being provided, whichever is greater (up to a maximum of €12,500). This is for works in connection with:

  • the construction or extension of a building
  • a building in which a material change of use takes place
  • one or both of the following:
    • the material alteration of the interior of a building
    • the material alteration of the external surfaces of a building (€125 fixed fee)

For a building, or works, that will be used for agricultural purposes, the fee is €65 or €0.80c per square metre (in excess of 300 square metres) – applied to whichever of the following is greater:

  • gross floor area being provided
  • relevant floor area

What happens next?

We will issue you a decision within two months. If this timeframe needs to be extended, we’ll inform you in writing.

You have one month after the decision is made to appeal to An Bord Pleanála. You can call them at 01 8588100 or 1890 275 175 (Lo-call), or email them at [email protected].

Don’t forget

Make sure to send in your commencement notice or 7 day notice before you start work.
You may also need a Disability Access Certificate.

Viewing Fire Files

All FSC files are available to view at the Planning Counter in our Swords offices. We’re open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm.


Application for Fire Safety Certificate
Application for Regularisation Certificate
Application for Revised Fire Safety Certificate 


Email: [email protected]

Telephone: (01) 890 5542