River Basin Management Plan
Find out about the Riverbasin Management Plan Below
The Government has published the River Basin Management Plan for Ireland 2018-2021. The Plan sets out the actions or measures that Ireland will take to improve water quality and achieve ‘good’ ecological status in water bodies (rivers, lakes, estuaries and coastal waters) by 2027 as is required under the Water Framework Directive (WFD). Measures include the following:
- Planned investment by Irish Water of approximately €1.7 billion in waste-water projects;
- Deployment of 43 local authority investigative assessment personnel, who will work in Prioritised Areas for Action;
- Improved controls for the management of water abstractions;
- A new collaborative Sustainability and Advisory Support Programme between Government and the dairy industry, consisting of 30 Sustainability Advisors promoting agricultural best practice in 190 Areas for Action;
- The development and implementation of a “Blue Dot Catchments Programme” for the protection of high-status waters; and
- The extension of the grant scheme for repairs, upgrade and replacement of domestic waste-water treatment systems, with priority given to high-status catchments.
The Prioritised Areas for Action within Fingal as outlined in the Plan are the catchments of Rogerstown Estuary, Santry River, Mayne River and Upper Tolka.
Stakeholder and public engagement is being led by the recently-established Water Forum (An Fóram Uisce) and the Local Authority Waters and Communities Office (LAWCO). LAWCO drives public engagement, participation and consultation with communities and stakeholders at local and regional level. This engagement is further supported by www.catchments.ie and www.watersandcommunities.ie and by a wide range of other activities aimed at facilitating and encouraging engagement.
If you need more information or you would like to get involved in improving water quality, please contact the Local Authority Waters and Communities Office.
E: Mail: [email protected]
Further information is available at