Waste Water Treatment Plants

We currently run two main waste water treatment plants.

Fingal’s Waste Water Treatment Plants (WWTP)

The Swords WWTP currently has the capacity to treat up to a population equivalent (PE) of 60,000. Phase II of this plant commenced 2nd April 2013 and when completed over a 24 month period will have the capacity to treat 90,000 PE. 

The second plant which is Malahide WWTP has the capacity to treat 20,000 PE 

In addition there are two other major plants located in Fingal. A plant at Barnageeragh which has the capacity to treat PE 70,000, and a plant which serves Donabate, Portrane, Rush & Lusk and has a capacity to treat 65,000 PE. Waste Water for the greater Dublin 15 Area is pumped to Ringsend for treatment via the 9C sewer. We also operate a number of smaller plants to cover areas like Garistown, Oldtown, Ballyboughil and Naul. 

These projects formed part of the National Development Plan and have received funding from the EU Cohesion Fund (see www.ndp.ie for further information). The completion of these projects will ensure compliance with the Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive and help improve and sustain the quality of our coastal waters for some time to come.


Waste Water Discharge Licences

Under Statutory Instrument SI No. 684 of 2007 Waste Water Discharge (Authorisation) Regulations 2007, all discharges from sewerage treatment plants must be licensed or certified by the EPA.

We have been issued with six licences and seven Certificates of Authorisation to date for the following townlands:

  • Balbriggan/Skerries
  • Portrane/Donabate
  • Lusk
  • Rush
  • Malahide
  • Swords

Certificates of Authorisation have been issued for the following townlands:

  • Naul
  • Garristown
  • Oldtown
  • Ballyboghil
  • Newtown Cottages
  • Colecot Cottages and Turvey Cottages

Full details of the applications, correspondence and licences issued for the townlands can be viewed on the EPA website at www.epa.ie
Licences and certificates can be viewed at our offices in Blanchardstown, by calling in to our Water Services counter.