Permits, Licences and Certificates

The following is a list of Road Permits/Licences/Certificates which are available from Fingal County Council, Operations Department, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15.

‌‌Download Application Forms/ Policies

Abnormal Loads Permits (27852 S)


Road Opening Licence

You need a Road Opening Licence to open the public road, footpath or grass verge for:

  • Water/Sewer Connections
  • Lowering of Footpaths
  • Footpath reconstruction
  • Pipelaying etc.

Telephone (01) 8905829 or email  [email protected]


All road opening licenses are now applied for through the RMO’s (Road Management Office) online system MRL (MapRoadLicensing). The fees are generated by this system in response to the information provided in the application.


The application is then inspected and conditioned by our engineers and is granted after the payment is made by the applicant. The license and any receipts or other documents will be published onto the online system,


The RMO provides registration and support to users of the MRL system.


The following information and support is available on the RMO website (


  • A link to the MRL system
  • A link to the registration page for new users
  • Support contact details
  • A set of user guides for common MRL procedures
  • Access to the revised Guidelines for Managing Openings in Public Roads, issued by the Department of Transports, Tourism and Sport in April 2017.


You can email [email protected] if you have any queries about registration


Communication/Wayleave Licences

To lay electrical cables for communication/energy lines you need to get a Communications/Wayleave Licence.

Telephone (01) 8905000 or email [email protected]


Hoarding Licence

You must get a Hoarding Licence to place temporary items (e.g. a fence or scaffolding) on a public footpath/road.
Telephone (01) 8906260 or email [email protected]


Street Furniture

You need a Street Furniture Licence  to place tables & chairs outside a premises where food is sold.  You can discuss this with the Engineer for the area in question before you submit an application. (See form for more details).

Telephone (01) 8905000 or Email: [email protected]


Advertisment/Tourist Signage

You need a licence to place an advertising or tourist accommodation sign on a public road.  The fee is €50 per annum per sign.  For more information please see the Policy on Advertisement Structures on Public Roads – 2008 and the Application Form for Advertising/Tourist Accommodation Signage

Telephone (01) 8905000 or email [email protected]


Abnormal Loads

A vehicle/load is considered abnormal when the total length of the vehicle exceeds 16.5m, the overall width exceeds 2.55m the weight of any axle other than the driving axle exceeds 10,170kg and the weight of the driving axle exceeds 10,500kgs.
You must notify The Commissioner of An Garda Siochana four days before submitting an application.

Telephone (01) 8904451 or email [email protected]


Special Permit

Special Permits must be obtained to permit the use of certain vehicles on public roads maintained by us.

Telephone (01) 8905000 or Email: [email protected]


Taking In Charge

A Taking in Charge Certificate tells you if your road/services are/are not in charge.  Certificates are available from Fingal County Council, Operations Department, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15. Cost of Certificate is €90.
If the property is in a rural area, a location map is also required.

Telephone (01) 8905886 or (01) 8905887 or email [email protected]