This page relates to litter, illegal dumping and litter awareness
All littering offences can be reported to the Litter Management Unit on our Free Phone number 01 890 6799 or you can contact us between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday to Thursday and between 9:00am and 4:30pm on Friday or you can email: [email protected]
If you see someone littering or dumping rubbish a litter fine can be issued on foot of your report. If the fine remains unpaid we will pursue the matter in the District Court where a Judge will make an independent ruling. To get a prosecution in court, you will be requested to act as a witness.
Please complete the Witness Statement Form , while the incident is fresh in your memory and return it to the Litter Management Unit as soon as possible.
Fingal Litter Management Plan 2012-2015 was adopted by the Full Council on the 10th December 2012. The Plan covers the following:
- litter prevention, awareness and education
- enforcement measures to prevent and control litter
- litter management operations
- implementation and monitoring.
The Council employs six Litter Wardens whose duties include:
- investigation and prosecution of illegal dumping
- issuing of on-the-spot fines for litter offences
- prosecution of serious offences through the courts
The current on-the-spot fine for littering under the Litter Pollution Acts 1997 - 2003, is €150.00. If the matter is brought to the District Court and the offender is found guilty, the maximum fine can be up to €3,000.00.
Fines can be issued for a number of reasons, including
- if you drop litter in a public place
- if you do not keep your front garden and any footpath adjoining your house free from litter
- if you put out bags or put your bin out in a manner that could cause litter - so be careful in the way you put out your rubbish for collection
- allowing your dog to foul in a public place and not cleaning up afterwards (see page on Dog Control)
Appealing a Litter Fine
If you feel that your fine was unfair or mistaken, you can lodge an appeal using the Appeals should be lodged within 21 days of receiving the fine. A decision on the appeal will be notified to you within 21 days of receipt of the appeal. Appeal Against Litter Fine
Illegal Waste Activity
If you suspect that any illegal waste activity is taking place at a site or location in Fingal you should contact us on 01 890 6799 or email [email protected]. If you want to make a complaint about Environmental Protection please use the following form.
Members of the public can also report illegal dumping to the Environment Protection Agency (EPA) via a 24 hour Lo-call telephone number 1850 365 121.
Fingal County Council actively participates and provides support and encouragement to communities to become involved in local clean-ups. If any individual or community group would like to organise a cleanup, or get advice about organising cleanups at any time during the year, they should contact the Operations sections at the following numbers:
Howth/Malahide Operations at (01) 890 5946
Castleknock/Mulhuddart at (01) 890 5934
Balbriggan/Swords at (01) 890 5935
Operations staff will arrange for the bags to be delivered and for collection of rubbish, after the work has been completed.
01 890 6799