Information about HAP (Housing Assistance Payment)

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a form of social housing support.

HAP replaces Rent Supplement for those with a long term housing need.

Persons applying for HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.

The first step to applying for HAP in Fingal County Council involves an income eligibility assessment.   You can apply to be assessed for eligibility for HAP by submitting documents listed on the enclosed checklist and completing the form.

For more information, see Related Documents below or call 01-870 4515. 


HAP Checklist plus HPL1