Do you need planning permission

Find out here which works need planning permission, and which don't. 

Generally, you need to apply for planning permission for any development of land or property. What do we mean by development? This includes building, demolition, or alterations on land or buildings, and the making of a material (i.e. significant) change of use of land or buildings. However, some works would be not need planning permission and are called exempted development.

If you think you do need planning permission and want to speak to a planner about making a application you can apply for a pre planning meeting. 

Exempted Development

Some minor developments are exempted development, and do not need planning permission, and we give information on these in the following documents Work around the House Leaflet , Agricultural Leaflet and Planning for the Business Person Leaflet. Remember, if your property is in an Architectural Conservation Area, Special Amenity Area Order, or is a Protected Structure/Listed Building these exemptions do not apply.

Not sure if your development is exempt? You can apply for a document from us, called a Declaration of Exemption, which confirms if you need for planning permission. You do this by filling in the form below and sending it to us along with the list of documents and fee.

Pre-planning Consultation

If you / your architect want to speak to a planner before making a planning application you can request a pre-planning consultation with the area planner.

Some categories of proposed development, mainly large-scale developments, have statutory timeframes within which a pre-planning consultation must take place. Section 43 of the Planning & Development (Amendment) Act 2018 provides that pre-planning consultation is mandatory for residential development consisting of more than 10 houses and non-residential development with more than 1,000 sq. metres gross floor space.

To request a pre-planning consultation with the area planner you should contact us in writing or by email to [email protected] and sending in the following details:

• Name and address
• Contact details
• Site address
• Site location map scale 1:2500
• Approximate size of site
• Legal interest in site
• Description of the proposed development

You are advised that the scheduling of a pre-planning meeting is subject to staff availability and meeting scheduling.

We keep a record of this consultation or requests for such consultations and when you send in your planning application we add it to your file.

Contact the Planning Department

Email:          [email protected]
Telephone:    (01)8905541 (Swords)
                        (01)8708434 (Blanchardstown)

Visit us at our planning counters

County Hall, Main Street, Swords, Co Dublin
Opening Hours: Monday to Friday: 9.30am to 4.30pm

Civic Offices, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:30am to 4:30pm and Friday 9.30 - 4pm (all Including Lunchtime)If necessary, the Reception desk in Blanchardstown can accept documents/ applications outside of these hours.

Postal Address for planning applications: (split by area)
North County area of Fingal send to:

Planning Department
Fingal County Council
County Hall

and for D15 and surrounds, and all areas west of the N2 send to:

Planning Department
Fingal County Council
Civic Offices
Grove Road
Dublin 15