Disability access certificates

You must apply for a Disability Access Certificate for some new buildings.


What is a Disability Access Certificate?

A disability access certificate (DAC) shows that you have made adequate provision for people with disabilities by complying with Part M of the Building Regulations 1997-2010.

You must apply for a DACfor all new buildings (including apartments, but not houses).  You can check the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government’s FAQs for more information.

How to apply

Download the DAC application form and send the completed form to:

Building Control Section, Planning Department
Fingal County Council
PO Box 174
Main Street
Co Dublin

Or you can hand in your application at the Planning Counter in our Swords offices. We’re open Monday to Friday, from 9:30am to 4:30pm.

Filling in the application form

To make a valid application, you must:

  1. Clearly identify and describe the building or works
  2. Show how the building or works comply to disability access standards by providing adequate provision for people with disabilities, including:
  • approach to a building
  • access to a building
  • circulation within a building
  • use of facilities within a building
  • bedrooms in hotels and other guest accommodations
  • sanitary conveniences
  • audience or spectator facilities
  • apartments in a building
  1. Include two copies of:
  • drawings to scale, with site or layout plan, floor plans, elevations and sections all clearly marked
  • a detailed compliance report
  1. Pay the fee of €800 per building. There is no fee for a primary school with four teachers or less.

Don’t forget

Make sure to send in your commencement notice or 7 day notice before you start work.


Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (01) 890 5542

Disability Access Certificate form
Revised Disability Access Certificate