Council Properties

We acquire property for a variety of services.

Property Acquisition

We acquire property for a variety of reasons, housing, roads and motorways, amenity, parks, community facilities, environmental services, water, drainage and industrial development in one of the following ways:

  • By agreement
  • Compulsory purchase
  • Motorway order
  • Deed of waiver
  • Deed of dedication

Disposal of Council Property

Land or properties no longer required by the council may be sold, leased exchanged etc.
Interested in purchasing council lands or property?
If you are interested in purchasing council lands or property please note the following:

  • All requests to be made in writing
  • Include a location map identifying land/property
  • Outline the intended proposals for land/property
  • Applications are checked for council ownership, acknowledged in writing, then circulated to other departments for their input. You will be notified in writing of the outcome. If the disposal is deemed viable details are sent to the council’s valuer for estimation. Property is formally offered in writing and must be accepted in same.
  • All proposals to dispose of council land or property must be approved by the elected members of the council at its monthly meeting. When the disposal is approved the councils solicitor is instructed.

Current Compulsory Purchase Orders

The current list of compulsory purchase orders on display is as follows;

Balbriggan to Skerries Cycle-route 2013

Hayestown Road, Rush Footpath Improvement 2013

Applications to acquire laneways

Applications to acquire laneways or parts of laneways are only considered in the following circumstances:

  • If the public right of way has been extinguished
  • If the laneway is free from public services
  • If all residents with access to the laneway agree to incorporate the laneway into the adjoining properties

More information on applying for an Extinguishment of Right of Way please see our Road Closures section.